Sunday, April 01, 2012

Home made chocolate chip rum raisin ice cream

I basically used this recipe from the One Pot Chef and adapted it. I also like this link for introducing other flavours.

Ingredients (makes about 1.5ml)
400 ml of condense milk (1 can - I found this way too sweet. Next time I might reduce this by maybe 50 to 100ml to 350 or 300ml? Not sure what effect this would have on the consistency of the ice cream though)
600 ml of thick cream (says 'suitable for whipping' on label)
300g chocolate buttons (white, milk or dark chocolate are all fine)
3 tbsp rum (might increase this to 4 tsp in future because I couldn't taste any rum!)
1/2 cup raisins



Method
1) Soak the raisins in the rum.

2) Melt the chocolate in a microwave. Heat for 30 seconds, stir, repeat until all the chocolate is melted. Set aside to cool.

3) Combine the condensed milk, cream and cooled melted chocolate in a bowl. Use an electric beater and beat until thick. (consistency should be enough to draw a line on the surface which stays for several seconds)

4) Pour into a tub and freeze for at least 6 to 8 hours or better still, over night.

5) Home made ice cream is usually harder than store bought. If it's too hard, leave it on the counter to defrost a little. 

Feedback on the recipe
I initially wanted to make 2 different flavours - rum and raisin, and regular chocolate. I put an aluminium foil to create 2 compartments in the 2l container. The ice cream mixture held, but unfortunately, the rum soaked through to the other compartment, so I decided to mix everything up anyway. Note to self, next time use 2 containers!

After letting the melted chocolate cool, for some reason, it actually 'split' and hardened into little flakes. That's how I ended up with chocolate chip, not by design! I'm not sure if it's my brand of cooking chocolate, or whether I let it get too cool, or whether I stirred through the chocolate rather than beating it through but I don't think this should make a difference since the beater beats, not blends. I'm not particularly keen to use cooking chocolate again. Maybe I should try cocoa but that will give it a chalky texture.

Also, I didn't know what stage to beat it till and my mixture actually 'fell' and deflated! I was rather upset. To compromise (and only because I had a lot of time on my hands), although the beauty of this recipe was not having to run a fork through or use an electric beater to break up the ice crystals every 1.5 hours or so, I still did it anyway (about 4 times in total) in an attempt to make the mixture more smooth. I don't think it broke up the chocolate but it certainly made the ice cream smoother!

Finally, my ice cream was still soft (edible) the next morning! I don't know whether the alcohol interrupted the freezing process, or whether it's because my fridge isn't cold enough. But it's a good kinda soft, I can scoup it out straight without waiting for defrosting!

Notes on the seizing up of chocolate
1) Never use a wooden spoon to stir melted chocolate. It retains moisture, which causes chocolate to seize up. The same with any left over moisture in the bowl. Use a metal spoon to stir, and ensure the bowl is completely dry. (I wasn't using a metal spoon but I was using a silicon sputula, so I doubt this caused it)

2) Over heated chocolate can seize up too. That's why the double boiler or bain marie is more fail safe, but it does use more equipment. To melt chocolate in a microwave, use short bursts of 30s. In my case, I might try not using full power (eg use 70%) next time. Also don't heat the chocolate till all is melted. There will still be some residual lumps, use the spoon to stir till everything is melted. The residual heat will melt any lumps.

3) Adding milk or water to a seized chocolate mixture will not revive it. Adding melted butter will kept it molten and it won't set again, whether in the oven or fridge. Good for chocolate sauce though.

4) Also, use small pieces of chocolate, so choco buttons are great, or chop up the cooking choc (don't use regular eating choc!) into little nuggets to melt faster and prevent over-heating.

No comments:

Soya sauce Korean rice cakes