Monday, January 23, 2017

Buttermilk almond hotcakes

I have heard A LOT about buttermilk pancakes, how it's been touted as the best, softest, fluffiest pancakes ever. However, I think I still prefer hotcakes at least in terms of method. The mouthfeel made little difference to me.

I used this recipe from JOC because her recipes have been pretty foolproof. I don't know whether it's really because I used substitute buttermilk rather than 'real' butter milk but it took a lot longer to cook than expected. In the sweltering summer heat, I don't have the patience to stand there in front of the hot stove and sweat while waiting for it to cook at low flame. 

Update 1: I might try a pan with a cover next time but I still need to wait pretty long for it to cook through). 
Update 2: I have renamed this as 'hotcake' rather than pancake because I have found a recipe that produces a much thinner but less cake-like pancake.

Ingredients (feeds 2 people, makes 6*5 inch pancakes)
1 ¼ C flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 beaten egg
pinch of salt
1 ¼ C buttermilk (substitute ratio of 1 cup milk to 1 tbsp acid e.g. lemon juice)
2 tbsp melted butter
1 tsp almond essence
2 tbsp sugar (reduced from ¼ C sugar)

Method
1) In a pitcher, beat the egg, add the buttermilk, melted butter, and almond extract.
2) In a bowl, mix the dry: the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3) Sift the dry into the wet and fold in with the whisk. (This prevents lumps unlike the usual method of creating a well in the dry, pouring in the wet, and slowly incorporating). This makes a very very thick batter.
4) Warm up the pan and pour in a little oil. Wipe off excess with a kitchen paper. Pour on 1 scoop of the batter from a height of 10 cm. This creates the round shape.
5) Turn down the flame to medium low heat otherwise the bottom will burn before the inside is cooked. This takes much longer to cook than hotcakes and dorayaki pancakes. 
6) Unlike all the latter but similar to crepes and pancakes, flip when bubbles appear on the top. Do not press down.
7) Serve hot immediately.

No comments:

Soya sauce Korean rice cakes